This article was originally published in The Notebook. In August 2020, The Notebook became Chalkbeat Philadelphia.
Next Up In Early Childhood
- Parents of early learners prepare for first day of school in Philadelphia
- Kindergarten enrollment plummeted in Philadelphia last year. District leaders are hoping for a rebound.
- Just 32% of Philadelphia third graders read on grade level. Freedom Schools Literacy Academy could be a model to change that.
- Would-be teachers of color pass Pennsylvania licensing exams at lower-than-average rates
- Recess should be a priority when Philadelphia’s early learners return, advocates say
- Education advocates celebrate fifth anniversary of Philly pre-K
Sign up for the newsletter Chalkbeat Philadelphia
Sign up for our newsletter.
The COVID-19 outbreak is changing our daily reality
Chalkbeat is a nonprofit newsroom dedicated to providing the information families and educators need, but this kind of work isn't possible without your help.